If you've been paying attention, you know I was laid off by CVS Health in August. This leaves me in the position of needing to update my resume and ensure I have a solid biography for my resume, this site, and other purposes.
While I'm somewhat well-known as a word person. And I do pride myself on being a solid communicator in both verbal and written forms. I also know one of my weaknesses is being concise. It's a skill I've slowly worked on for many years, and it could well just be a core part of who I am - to be wordy.
But a bio for a resume or website should be only a few paragraphs or so. Distilling the body of one's experiences into such a brief summary that describes where you've been, where you are, and where you want to go, is just hard to do. How do you decide what to throw out, and what to keep, when everything has contributed to where you are?
So, I turned to my trusty generative AI friend, ChatGPT for an assist. Here's how that went.
The Easy Stuff
The first thing I did was ask ChatGPT if it could summarize my LinkedIn profile.
Understandably, ChatGPT isn't connected to the internet. There are lots of conflicting authority sources out there, misinformation, and other things to look at. Controlling what the AI looks at is an important qualitative control mechanism.
Ok, so, the next thing I tried was to see if ChatGPT would allow me to provide a file, like a PDF or a Word Document.
Also understandable is that for the same quality control reasons, the Open AI team will not want people presenting uncontrolled files to the system to interpret.
The Full Shebang
Here is where I provided the raw text of my entire resume to ChatGPT, no additional prompt was needed, it already knew what I'd asked it to do.
My text included everything a resume would normally have, including my address, phone number, URLs for Github and LinkedIn, experience, education, and skills lists. Not to mention the success stories and projects I include.
Details are in the full response below, some details were redacted so I don't dox myself.
Chris Giddings, also known as "Giddy," is a technology enthusiast with a passion for creatively solving complex business challenges using available tools. He has a strong track record of making full use of technology to drive impact and is known for his interactive leadership style, excelling in team environments. Here's a brief summary of his career:
Hard Tech Skills:
- APIs, AppDynamics, Application Architecture, AWS, GCP, Git, Java (Spring), JSON, Linux, macOS, MongoDB, Ruby (on Rails), Solution Architecture, SQL, Systems Thinking.
- Active Listening, Design Thinking, Empathetic Leadership, Executive Communication, Presentation Skills, SAFe Agile Leadership, Technical Writing.
- Sr Manager, Process Architecture (May 2022 - Aug 2023)
EVERSANA Life Science Services
- Manager, Digital Automation (Jan 2021 - Apr 2022)
- Sr Solution Architect (Oct 2015 - Jan 2021)
iTalent / Jackson National Life
- Middleware Engineer (Oct 2014 - Sept 2015)
ResolvIT / Kroger Corporation
- Oracle Fusion Middleware Architect (Nov 2013 - Aug 2014)
TEKSystems / Scripps Networks Interactive
- Site Reliability Engineer (Oct 2012 - Nov 2013)
ResolvIT / General Electric
- Cloud Systems Architect (Mar 2012 - Oct 2012)
- GED - State of Ohio - Cincinnati, OH - August 2001
- Led and designed a major overhaul of the Colleague Journey experience for a Fortune 4 company, impacting 350,000 employees.
- Successfully implemented automation solutions, delivering substantial value and savings.
- Played a pivotal role in the rapid development and deployment of COVID-19 patient-facing solutions.
- Advised on vendor assessment and selection for 17 product categories, driving innovative offerings through integration.
- Facilitated workshops and instructed teams on core product capabilities.
- Transitioned from project-driven to product-driven workstream.
- Simplified and optimized existing solutions, reducing complexity and improving support.
- Implemented automation to streamline deployment processes, significantly reducing deploy times.
- Received accolades for problem-solving and leadership.
- Encouraged collaboration across teams, resulting in innovative approaches to company challenges.
- Presented to company leadership and global summit audiences, communicating the value of automation and knowledge management concepts.
- Produced recorded demonstrations of solutions for various stakeholders.
Selected Success Stories:
- Overhaul of Colleague Journey - Process Architect & Manager at CVS Health.
- Business-led Automation Framework - Solution Architect & Manager at EVERSANA Life Science Services.
- Automated Regulatory Invoice Data Processing - Manager & Architect at EVERSANA Life Science Services.
- Homegrown Data Intake Process Automation - Solution Architect & Product Owner at EVERSANA Life Science Services.
- Wholesale Order Automation - Manager & Architect at EVERSANA Life Science Services.
- COVID-19 Test Kit Order Handling - Solution Architect & Engineer at EVERSANA Life Science Services.
- Self-Service Patient Assistance Enrollment - Solution Architect & Engineer at EVERSANA Life Science Services.
- Patient Copay Platform Rebuild - Solution Architect at EVERSANA Life Science Services.
- Correspondence Platform Rebuild - Solution Architect at EVERSANA Life Science Services.
- Implementation of Front-End Content Caching - Site Reliability Engineer at TEKSystems / Scripps Networks Interactive.
- Java Platform Upgrade - Middleware Engineer at Cintas Corporation.
- WebLogic Administration & System Engineering - WebLogic Administrator at Comair / Delta Airlines.
Chris Giddings has a strong background in technology and a proven history of leveraging his skills to drive innovation and efficiency in various industries. His extensive experience in process architecture, automation, and solution design makes him a valuable asset in the tech world.
Well, thanks ChatGPT, for regurgitating my resume back at me. Much appreciated. Well, since the system knows stuff now, let's see if it can distill that for me.
Chris Giddings, known as "Giddy," is a tech enthusiast dedicated to creatively solving complex business challenges. With a knack for leveraging technology, he has made a significant impact throughout his career. Giddy excels as an interactive leader and collaborator within teams.
His career spans various roles, including serving as a Senior Manager of Process Architecture at CVS Health, where he led a major overhaul of the Colleague Journey experience. At EVERSANA Life Science Services, Giddy worked as a Manager of Digital Automation and a Senior Solution Architect, driving substantial value through automation and innovative frameworks. His ability to streamline processes and optimize solutions has consistently led to cost savings and increased efficiency.
Giddy's career is marked by accomplishments like rapid COVID-19 patient-facing solution development and successful automation implementation, all while receiving accolades for problem-solving and leadership. His expertise in areas like solution architecture, technical writing, and stakeholder communication has positioned him as a valuable asset in the tech industry.
Ok, that's better. Three paragraphs is a reasonable amount of text for a bio. But, I need this for the website and resume use. The third person is a bit comically awkward.
Let's ask to switch to first person, which is more natural for how this will be used.
I'm Chris Giddings, often referred to as "Giddy." I'm passionate about technology and thrive on creatively tackling complex business challenges using the available tools. I have a strong track record of making the most of technology to drive impact and am known for my interactive leadership style, which excels in team environments.
Throughout my career, I've held various roles, including my current position as Senior Manager of Process Architecture at CVS Health. Here, I led a significant overhaul of the Colleague Journey experience, impacting 350,000 employees. My previous roles as Manager of Digital Automation and Senior Solution Architect at EVERSANA Life Science Services showcased my ability to deliver substantial value through automation and innovative frameworks, resulting in cost savings and increased efficiency.
My career highlights include rapid COVID-19 patient-facing solution development, successful automation implementation, and receiving accolades for problem-solving and leadership. My expertise in solution architecture, technical writing, and stakeholder communication has positioned me as a valuable asset in the tech industry.
I think ChatGPT did a nice job summarizing my experience and contributions given the focus on brevity.
I may have made a few minor tweaks, but you can check for yourself on the About page here on the site.
Be sure to subscribe, so you can get notified of new posts, and follow my adventures!
The MidJourney prompt for this post's hero image was:
Sign up for GiddyUp
Personal musings and things.
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.